Couples who live together often fall into a rut because of the familiarity of their routine. The only way that they know to shake themselves out of that rut is to get outdoors and do something fun together. Unfortunately there are a lot of times during life when you just don't want to be outdoors - whether that's because of inclement weather or just that neither of you feels like leaving the house. So how can you avoid just settling into a boring old routine indoors? Take a look at these indoor couples activities that are designed to bring couples together instead of making them feel trapped with one another.
Indoor Activities at Home
Do you find that the only thing that you and your significant other really ever do together at home is watch TV? If so, you're probably going to get really bored really fast. Here are some other indoor couples activities that you can do at home to keep life a little more interesting with one another:
- Play board games. Couples that have fun together are couples that are happy together. Board games and card games keep you interacting with one another but give you something to do so you're not just "hanging out". Find a variety of different games from trivia to strategy to the childhood games of your past to enjoy together when you're hanging out indoors.
- Cook together. Go online together and find recipes for new things that you've never tried to make at home before. Get the groceries and get together in the kitchen without a lot of distractions. The act of cooking and dining together is intimate and offers a fun activity that will bring you both closer together.
- Video games. One or both people in a couple may play video games on their own but it's a lot more enjoyable if you play them together. Choose games where you can team up against others or find ones where you can battle each other. Again, it's all about having fun.
- Indoor exercise. Find exercises that you can do together - such as passing the medicine ball back and forth. You'll get your heart rate going and feel the endorphins start coursing through you, something that's a lot more fun with a partner than it is alone.
- Make couples art or make music. Being creative together is a great way to really enhance the relationship. Find something that you both like to do whether it's picking at a guitar or making collages out of old magazine images.
- Home improvements. Couples that live together can come together by finding ways to improve the home they share. Create a list of projects that you would like to work on and start checking things off of the list one by one. Working together to create a home is a great way to spend time with someone else.
- Throw brunches, dinner parties and movie nights. If you want to be social together as a couple but don't want to leave the house then make your house the setting of all of the fun. Do these weekly or monthly to get a routine going that's all about fun instead of boring habits.
- Make life lists. A life list is when you sit down and brainstorm all of the things that you've never done which you'd like to do before you die. Things on the list can be as mundane as "make a cake from scratch" or as wild as "visit every national park in the country". Make your life lists separately and then share them; you'll be amazed how much you find out about each other.
- Surf the web. The Internet doesn't have to be something in your home that alienates you from one another. Sit down in front of the computer together and watch funny videos, read interesting articles and share ideas about what you read. It's far more interactive than just watching TV and keeps both of you from being bored together.
- Picnic indoors. If you're both feeling like just laying down and watching a movie together, do it with some romance. Put together a wine and cheese picnic basket, spread a blanket out on the floor together and get ready to have a better-than-normal evening of watching the tube. This is one of the top couples activities for romance!
Indoor Activities Away from Home
Of course, sometimes the only reason that you don't want to be outdoors is because the weather is gross. During these times, you can go to other indoor locations with your partner. A couples retreat can be the perfect way to spend some romantic time together. Here are some ideas:
- Dress up and go to a movie. Dressing up is important because it makes it more of a real date than when you normally just head out to a movie together.
- Go gaming. If there's a casino in your local area then you can have some indoor fun together there.
- Go to a spa or local hot tubs. Get away together into relaxation and get that chill of the icky weather out of your bones. A couples spa is a great couples retreat.
- Check out a local museum or art gallery. You can learn something together and share an experience that you don't take the time to enjoy nearly often enough. This is a great local couples retreat.
- Visit friends or family. Sometimes hanging out with others is the best way to be together. Ask someone in the family to host a spontaneous potluck on a rainy afternoon.
- Take a class together. An art class, an improv comedy class or a cooking class can bring the two of you closer together even as you meet others and learn something new.
- Go to an event that you've never been to before. Seeing something new together can brighten up even the dreariest of days. If you've never been to a poetry slam, the local ballet or a Broadway musical then get some tickets and go.
Of course, none of this means that you need to cancel your Netflix subscriptions andSky TV packages. It just means you need to find additional ways to have fun at home together too. The real goal to keep in mind when trying to find things to do with your significant other is that you have to always aim to be creative and different. Comfortable is great but it can get boring if you're not careful. Don't let yourselves fall into a rut that you won't be able to get out of.